On August 22, 2021, the eldest and most respected parishioner of the Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ in Buenos Aires, Argentina, Igor Nikolaevich Andrushkevich, reposed in the Lord at the age of 94.
Born on July 31, 1927, in Belgrade, Yugoslavia, to the family of Nikolai Alexandrovich Andrushkevich, a colonel of the Russian Imperial Army, and Nadezhda Leonardovna Verzhenskaya. He was baptized in the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia. He attended the Grand Duke Konstantin Konstantinovich Cadet Corps in Bela Crkva. In his autobiography, he wrote that “this was truly elite in the finest sense of the word, and righly called ‘the pearl of the Russian emigration.’”
In 1948, he emigrated to Buenos Aires, Argentina, with his mother, two sisters and brother, where he remained for the rest of his life. He graduated from Argentina University, having studied journalism and philosophy. In the 1950’s, he was an editor of the newspaper Frente Comun. From 1962-1987, he worked in metallurgy as a financial and administrative director.
He taught Russian History and government for over 30 years at the Saturday school operated by the St George’s Pathfinders until the group went into schism from the Russian Church Abroad.
From 1970-1995, he worked on the weekly monarchist newspaper Nasha Strana (Our Country), writing hundreds of articles on church and historical topics, until the new editors commenced a dishonest propaganda campaign against reconciliation with the Moscow Patriarchate.
He regularly gave public lectures on various matters pertaining to world and Russian history, philosophy, politics and economics.
He was always a devoted and tireless parishioner of Resurrection of the Lord Parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, participated in its construction, where he would marry his wife Anna Atilievna Baucieri in 1958. He also supported St Sergius of Radonezh Church in Bayester, introducing the parish’s financial system.
In the 1960’s and 1970’s he was a member of the Diocesan Council of the Diocese of Argentina and Paraguay of the Russian Church Abroad, a member of the administration of the Russian Orthodox Congregation of Argentina and personal secretary of Archbishop Leonty of Buenos Aires, Argentina and Paraguay (1904-1971). He was always a leading figure in the Diocesan Council. After the reconciliation between the Russian Church Abroad and the Moscow Patriarchate in 2007, he remained devoted to the canonical hierarchy, defending the Church from the shrill schismatics under then-Archpriest Vladimir Skalon, at the time Administrator of the diocese.
In January 2009 he participated in the Local Council of the Russian Orthodox Church as a delegate representing the laity of the South American Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, where the new Patriarch of All Russia was elected.
From 2010, he began publishing the “Under the Southern Cross” Church Messenger of the Cathedral. The issues will soon be published on the diocesan website: iglesiarusa.info.
On August 23, 2010, Archbishop Mark (Golovkov) of Egorievsk bestowed the Order of Holy Righteous Prince Daniil of Moscow, III Degree, “in recognition of his labors in strengthening Church unity.”
Igor Nikolaevich reared three sons in the spirit of Christianity; the youngest, Andrei, is the Warden of Resurrection Cathedral. His widow, Anna, had been a parishioner of the Catholic Church, but from the example showed by her husband but without his prompting, converted to Orthodox Christianity.
Since 1991, Igor Andrushkevich was the President of the Union of Russian Cadets in Argentina. He restored the Cadet Military Museum established by the Russian emigration in the 1950’s in the House of White Emigres, which had been dismantled when the house was closed, and gathered many expositions for the collection.
The hierarchal funeral of servant of God Igor took place in Resurrection of the Lord Cathedral on 23 August, 2021.