KURSK, RUSSIA: September 23, 2017
The Kursk-Root Icon of the Mother of God "of the Sign" is Brought to the Kursk Metropoliate of the Russian Orthodox Church
On September 22, 2017, the miracle-working Kursk-Root Icon of the Mother of God "of the Sign" was brought to the Kursk-Root Hermitage of the Nativity of the Mother of God, where it was first discovered in 1295. This icon of the Queen of Heaven is the Hodigitria of the Russian diaspora today and fulfills a great mission, visiting many nations of the world, uniting and supporting Orthodox Christians the world over.
Accompanied by a delegation of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia led by His Grace Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan, the icon was greeted at the gates of the ancient monastery by His Eminence Metropolitan German of Kursk and Rylsk; His Grace Bishop Veniamin of Zheleznogorsk; His Grace Bishop Paisy of Shchigrovsk and Manturovsk; Hegumen Serafim (Kotelnikov), Prior of the monastery, along with its brethren, clergymen of the diocese and pilgrims.
The holy icon was then brought into the Cathedral of the Nativity of the Mother of God to the peal of bells and the singing of the troparion to the icon.
The hierarchs and clergymen then performed a moleben before the miracle-working icon.
Vladyka German congratulated all the worshipers on the happy occasion of the visit of the icon to the place of its origin. His Eminence then thanked the delegation of the Russian Church Abroad for affording his flock the opportunity to pray before the image of the Protectress and Intercessor of Kursk.
Vladyka announced that the icon would remain at Kursk-Root Hermitage until September 25, and molebens would be performed before it repeatedly. On Monday, after Divine Liturgy beginning at 7 am, the traditional procession of the cross with the icon would then set out for Znamensky Cathedral in the city of Kursk, where it will remain until October 2.